Yonas Adaye Adeto
Director, Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
Peace building, conflict resolution, ethnic relations, community participation, development, security sector governance/reform, peace education research, development-security nexus,
PhD Title: Conflict complexity in Ethiopia: A case study
- On Conflicts and Peacebuilding in Africa (Chicago, USA, 2017; Leipzig, Germany, 2018; and Atlanta, Georgia, USA, December 2018)
- On Preventing Violent Extremism (Beijing/Shanghai, March 2019; Mekele, Ethiopia, April, 2019; Brussels, Belgium, May 2019);
- On Global Citizenship and Peace Education (Tokyo/Hiroshima, Japan, 2017; Seoul, South Korea, 2017, 2019; Lusaka, Zambia, 2018; Contemporary African Security: Focus on the Horn of Africa, Paris, France 3 and 4 February 2020).
- On Global Security (Munich Security Conference, Germany February 2020)
- AU-UN joint conference on P- 989th Virtual meeting (Open Session) of the Peace and Security Council on Prevention of the Ideology of Hate, Genocide and Hate Crimes in Africa, on Monday, 12 April 2021.
- Peacebuilding and nation building in transition period in Ethiopia, 24 May 2021, Scientific Community, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- National interest and national security of Ethiopia: nexus between global security and geopolitics in the Horn, Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at National Intelligence and Security University College, Addis Ababa.
- The African Union Agenda of 2063 and the State of Diplomacy, Peace and Security in Africa, Tuesday, 13 July 2021, Convention on Higher Education Research, Technology and Industry Linkage (HEART CONVENTION, 2021) Ministry of Science and Higher Education, Addis Ababa.
- Can Africa succeed as a continent without taking international relations seriously? 27 October 2021 a key note speaker in a conference jointly organised by University of Addis Ababa, Cornell University, University of Ghana, Legon, University Cheikh A. Diop,Rhodes University, and King’s University College at the University of Western Ontario.
- Peacebuilding through peace education in Ethiopia: A Lecture Series at Ethiopian Graduate School of Theology, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Friday, 19 November 2021.
- Art, culture and Heritage: Levers for building a culture of Peace in Africa, a paper presented to Biennial Conference organised by the UNESCO member countries for leaders of African countries and organisations, 27 November 2021, Luanda, Angola.
- Keynote speaker, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, Security and stability of East Africa and the implications to the Middle East, 20 January 2022.
- Yonas, Adaye Adeto, Leininger, Julia, Strupat, Christoph, Abebe Shimeles, and Wasike Wilson (2021) The Covid-19 Pandemic and Structural Transformation in Africa: Evidence for Action (A Policy Paper Published in Germany: D.I.E)
- Yonas, Adaye (2020) Ethnic Extremism in Ethiopia: Implications for Stability of the Horn of Africa in African Journal on Conflict Resolution. ACCORD, South Africa vol. 21 no.2
- Yonas Adaye (2019) Peacebuilding through peace education in the Horn of Africa: Transformative Cosmopolitan Perspective in Omeje, F (ed.) in Peacebuilding in Contemporary Africa: In search of Alternative Strategies. London: Rutledge (Peer Reviewed and Book Chapter)
- Yonas, Adaye (2019) State Fragility and Conflict Dynamics in the Horn of Africa in Journal on Conflict Resolution in Africa (ACCORD) vol.19 No.1 pp. 11 – 37.
- Yonas, Adaye (2019) Preventing Violent Extremism in the Horn of Africa: The Case of Ethnic Extremism in Ethiopia (policy paper), European Institute of Peace (EIP).
- Yonas, Adaye (2018) Africa in Global Security Governance: A Critical Analysis of Ethiopia’s Role in the UN Peacekeeping Operations. Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy, New York. (Peer Reviewed International Journal) Vol. 6 No. 7, pp. 369 – 380.
- Yonas, Adaye and Ezra Abate (2014) Large Scale Agricultural Land Acquisition and Violent Conflict in Gambella (Peer reviewed book chapter) Addis Ababa University.
- Yonas, Adaye (2009) Militia in Internal Security Structure of Ethiopia: Policy Paper, Ethiopian Ministry of Defence.Taddese, Berhe and Yonas, Adaye (2006) The Role of Local Conflicts in Regional Stability, Institute for Security Studies, South Africa.
- Yonas, Adaye (2002) Quality of the English language education in Ethiopian context: A Critical Appraisal. OSSREA publication.
- Director, Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of Addis Ababa University since July 2019
- Supervisor of four local and one international (Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia – Leipzig University, Germany, joint programme) PhD students in the broad area of Peace and Security as well as Global and Area Studies;
- Supervised over 50 local and 5 international MA students for the past 13 years in the broad areas of Global, Peace and Security studies;
- Associate Academic Director, IPSS, 2014 to 2019;
- Deputy Director, IPSS, since 2012 - 2014;
- Regular MA Programme Coordinator 2009 – 2019;
- First Acting Director, Institute for Peace and Security Studies, 1 March 2007 to 30 March 2009 to set up the Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS, Addis Ababa University);
- Graduate Assistant (1993); Academic (Sophomore) English Coordinator 1996 – 2000, Addis Ababa University;
- Training Diplomats since 2001 with Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Training, Managing Peace and Security in Africa in collaboration with the African Union and GIZ since 2010.
- Contributing to the Media (Addis TV, BBC Focus on Africa, BBC World Service, CCTV, CGTN, DW, EBC, ENA, FANA Broadcast Corporate, OBN, WALTA, Ethiopian Herald (public) and Maleda (private) newspapers, Addis Zemen; Ethiopian Reporter, China Daily) since 2015;
- Think Tank for Peace (Member, Ethiopian Ministry of Peace since 2018)
- Foreign Policy Review Team (Member, Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 2018);
- Council on Foreign Relations (Member, Minister of Foreign Affairs, since July, 2019);
- Co-Chair of African Peace and Security Section, November 2020 International Conference of African Studies Association (ASA), Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
- Keynote speaker, Joint ICRC, AU, IPSS webinar on the African Union theme of the year 2021 on “Arts, Culture and Heritage: Levers for Building Africa We Want’’ April 2021;
- Keynote speaker/Panelist, on a Theme: Global Solidarity Against All Forms of Systematic Discrimination, Exclusion and Phobia, January 2021
- Panelist in Tana High-Level Security Forum, May 2020 Sheraton, Addis Ababa.
- Keynote speaker, International Peace Support Operations Training Institute, March 2021
- Keynote Speaker and Lead Facilitator, International Institute for Capacity Building of Teachers in Africa IICBA/UNESCO, 23 - 27April 2021
- Key-note speaker, Defence War College, Joint Seminar with Ministry of Peace, Federal Police and Ministry of Defence, Friday, 25 June 2021
- Key Note speaker, UN Peace Day 21 September 2021 at UN