Professor of Political Science, Zayed and Cairo Universities
Professor Hamdy A. Hassan has earned his Ph.D in Comparative Politics at Cairo University and Maryland University (1990). He was a member of the advisory board of the Swedish Network of Peace, Conflict and Development Research. In 1999, Professor Hassan was granted the Egyptian State award in political science for his book Issues in the African Political Systems published in Arabic by the Centre for African Future Studies, Cairo. From 2001- 2005, Professor Hassan served as an elect Vice President of the African Association of Political Science (AAPS), based in Pretoria, South Africa. He is the founder and director of the Centre for African Future Studies, Cairo, since 1996. From 1999 – 2000 he served as a Director of the UNISCO Human Rights Chair Located in Jordan.
He was a visiting professor in some Arab and European Universities such as Leiden University (Netherlands), Deakin University (Australia) and al -Al Bait University (Jordan). He is serving as Country Expert on Comoros, Tanzania for Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) in University of Gothenburg.
His research focuses on the democratization and development in Africa and the Arab world, Islamic Discourse in Africa and Conflict management. Dr Hassan is a regular columnist in some regional newspapers and websites He has published many books and articles in both Arabic and English including:
- Hassan, H.A. Sufi Islamic Discourse in Africa: From the Greatest Jihad to the Establishment of the African Caliphate. Religions 2020, 11, 639.
- Hassan H.A. (2021) Trade and Security Cooperation in the Arab Maghreb Union Region. In: Omeje K. (eds) The Governance, Security and Development Nexus. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-49348-6_
- Hassan, H. (2020). Transformations of Forced Migration in Africa: Issues and General Problems, African Journal of Political Science and International Relations, Vol.14(2), pp. 74-83 , DOI: 10.5897/AJPSIR2020.1255 .
- Hassan H. (in print) A New Hotbed for Extremism? Jihadism and Collective Insecurity in the Sahel. Asian Journal of Peacebuilding (AJP).
- Hassan H. (2019) The Making of a Mobile Caliphate State in the African Sahel. In: Ratuva S. (eds) The Palgrave Handbook of Ethnicity. Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore.
- Hassan, H. et.al (2019) The Road of Soft Power: UAE and Africa, Abu Dhabi: Abu Dhabi tourism and Culture Department.
- Hassan H.A., Thabet H. (2018) Africa and the Middle East: Shifting Alliances and Strategic Partnerships. In: Nagar D., Mutasa C. (eds) Africa and the World. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. · (2016). Islamic State and The Transformation of Islamic Discourse in the Middle East. Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies (in Asia), 10 (4), 1-19.
- 2011, Ed. Regional integration in Africa: Bridging the North-Sub-Saharan divide Regional Integration in Africa: Bridging the North-Sub-Saharan Divide, Pretoria: Africa Institute of South Africa.
Phone # +971502165252